Q&A: ISE Student Honored as Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant

The University of Oklahoma Graduate Student Senate has awarded Himadri Sen Gupta, a doctoral student in the School of Industrial and Systems Engineering, with the Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant award. He earned a master's degree in industrial and systems engineering and a graduate certificate in data science and analytics and in fall 2021. OU Engineering recently interviewed him about his experiences. Tell me about your role as a GTA. What does this involve? Are there specific courses you serve? 
Since the beginning of my graduate degree in spring 2021, I have had the honor of assisting my academic adviser, Dr. Andrés González in his class ISE 4563/5563: Quality and Reliability Engineering. Working alongside Dr. González has been a truly rewarding experience, as he has taught me invaluable lessons in mentoring and helping students achieve their goals. As a graduate teaching assistant in this class, I assist Dr. González in various ways, from grading assignments to conducting office hours and managing communication with students through email. 

What do you like about being a GTA?
My favorite aspect of being a GTA is interacting with students during office hours. These sessions have provided me with countless opportunities to learn from my students and enhance my own knowledge. Working with students has also improved my communication skills as an international student, enabling me to more effectively convey complex concepts and ideas. 

I view my role as a GTA as one of collaboration rather than one of hierarchy. Although I am in a position of GTA, I recognize that I do not possess all the answers. Instead, I approach each interaction with a willingness to learn from my students and to help them grow both academically and personally. Through my work as a GTA, I have gained invaluable experience and developed a deep appreciation for the value of mentorship in education.

When do you expect to complete your doctoral degree? What do you hope to do with your advanced degree?
My plan is to graduate in spring 2025 with a Ph.D. in Industrial and Systems Engineering. I am passionate about this field and eager to contribute to its growth and development. I aspire to become an academician who not only conducts meaningful research but also inspires and educates the next generation of students. 

I aim to pursue a career in academia and make valuable contributions to the field of industrial and systems engineering. I am excited to embark on this journey and work toward achieving my goal of becoming a respected scholar in the field. 

What is the focus of your research? 
My research is on optimization in community resilience and my passion for community resilience fuels my desire to work toward making communities more resilient to natural disasters. I envision a future where communities are better equipped to withstand and recover from catastrophic events, and I am committed to doing my part in making this a reality. My academic adviser has been instrumental in guiding me through the learning process of research, and I aspire to follow in his footsteps by mentoring and supporting students in their research endeavors.

Popular posts from this blog

OU Engineering Welcomes 14 New Faculty Members for 2023-24

OU Engineering 1 of 28 Teams Nationwide to Receive DEPSCoR Grant

OU Engineering Students Shine in Community Projects