Q&A: OU Engineering Talks With Electrical Engineer May Graduate, Andrea Newcomb

OU Engineering interviewed Andrea Newcomb before Thanksgiving 2022 when we learned about her involvement in the Spirit of America Productions at Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Her higher education journey has been filled with twists and turns that have led her to an electrical engineering degree. 

Tell us about your journey to get to OU and to study electrical engineering. Where are you from originally?

I am originally from Spencer, Oklahoma, but early in my teenage years, we moved to Midwest City, Oklahoma.

Following my graduation from Carl Albert High School, I enrolled in college without a clear direction in mind regarding what to study. The only thing I could confidently say was that I did NOT want to do math, of all things. I finished my basics and still had not settled on any of my numerous interests, but the pressure was on — I HAD to make a decision and naturally gravitated toward art because of the comfort it brought me. As a result, the first step of my messy journey was complete; I had received my Bachelor of Fine Arts.

Even though I had graduated, I still felt something was missing. I wanted to return to school for something science-related but wasn't sure what it would be. I spent about six months taking career aptitude tests, taking personality tests, reflecting and seeking advice from loved ones. To the dismay of my math-avoidant high school self, not only had I decided on engineering, but I knew I would have to start over as I had only completed college algebra during my basics. Initially, I enrolled as a chemical engineering major, but one particular class early on, where we were tasked with designing, developing, and building a functioning robot, changed my mind. The hands-on work with soldering wires invoked memories of a jewelry-making class I had taken, and thus electrical engineering became my path.

Looking back on my story, it should have been evident from the beginning what the outcome would be — despite my initial disdain for math leading me to art, working with wire in art led me to electrical engineering.

You have a studio art degree from the University of Central Oklahoma. Please talk about your passion for art.

Art forges a connection between my body and mind, providing me with a path to unearth and convey my feelings. It pushes me to grow and express my individuality without judgment. It gives me a sense of comfort and belonging. Depression has been a recurring battle for me since my earliest memories, but art has been a consistent companion throughout these struggles. After many years of reflecting, I now know that art has been and still is a source of therapy for me. No matter what I am creating, in that moment, I feel understood.

How do you find work/life balance?

Achieving a good work-life balance is still a challenge for me. I had to give up almost all of my social life to juggle school and work together, as well as handle the other curveballs life throws! My ability to navigate these challenges and achieve my current level of success is due in large part to my amazing support system. This support system includes my friends (among them my former boss, Alison), family members, and healthcare providers who have demonstrated immense understanding and support throughout my journey.

When will you graduate and do you have plans/dreams of what you will do after you earn another bachelor’s degree?

I will graduate soon, May 13, 2023, to be exact! The goal is to find a job that blends art in some way with electrical engineering. I'd also love to work on projects that help animals, the environment, or both.

Also, I want to do everything in my power to provide a comfortable and stable life for my parents. My upbringing was characterized by financial hardships, which tipped over into poverty when I was a teenager. Despite their financial challenges, my parents believed in me and worked tirelessly to help and support me in any way they could. With the help of my parents' fundraising efforts, I could afford to participate in cheerleading. There were many instances when I didn't have a working car after high school, but my parents made sure I got to work or school, no matter how much gas was, how much time it took, or how many times the car would break down along the way. The list goes on! I would be nothing without my parents, and the least I can do is make sure they live the rest of their days without financial struggle.

For students who struggle in math, but love the idea of becoming an engineer and making a difference, what would you say to them?

1. Although math plays a significant role in engineering, it's not the sole determinant of success. Try to approach your journey to become an engineer with a growth mindset, using it as a chance to enhance and develop new skills.

2. Do not let your fears hold you back. Instead, let your desire to make a difference overshadow any apprehensions you may have. Remember, “Great things never come from comfort zones.”

3. Determination and patience are truly everything. With enough determination and patience, you can compensate for anything you feel you lack.

How do art and engineering intersect?

Despite what most people assume, art and engineering go hand-in-hand in many ways. Consider the human brain, for example. For most, the brain's left hemisphere deals with language and controls the right hand, while the right hemisphere deals with emotion and controls the left hand. Both hemispheres communicate and work together to perform various functions without either side being entirely dominant. Although each hemisphere of the brain can function independently, optimal performance is achieved when both sides of the brain work in unison. Additionally, this dynamic can vary from person to person.

This is the perfect metaphor for art and engineering. They appear divided on the surface, but reframing your perspective may prove that line is blurred. I could say art and engineering intersect at creativity, creation, or impact; however, from a personal standpoint, I do not see a difference between the two. My involvement in both fields has shown me that collaboration, innovation and aesthetic judgment are integral components of each. My exposure to art has allowed me to visualize engineering concepts, while my knowledge of engineering will enable me to create the art I've always envisioned. So, to me, it's less a question of how art and engineering intersect but more a discussion about how they are intertwined and interdependent.

You work a full-time job and are a full-time student, correct? You have other passions too that include cheer coaching. Animal rescue too. 

I just left my job of 10 years in January to concentrate on my last semester, which was a massive shift for me. Throughout both of my degrees, I've had to juggle the demands of work and school, as I have never experienced one without the other. That said, I have been full-time in both, which I do not recommend; however, the number of course hours I've taken each semester has varied depending on factors such as the expected course workload, my job, and other external life circumstances beyond my control.

My involvement in cheerleading began during my junior high years and has continued to shape my life ever since. After graduating high school, I expanded my horizons by working cheer camps and coaching both all-star and school cheer teams. Over time, my passion for the sport led me to judge cheer events. For the past seven years, I have proudly served as a staff member for Spirit of America Productions at Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Animals hold a special place in my heart, and my passion for them surpasses all of my other interests and is an essential part of who I am. If it were within my power, I would save every animal in the world without hesitation. In our household, we currently have three cats and two dogs, each with a unique rescue story; however, my love for animals extends far beyond the walls of our home. When I encounter an animal in need, I prioritize helping them above all else—no animal is off-limits! Ideally, my future career will enable me to make an even greater impact on the lives of animals and provide them with the care they deserve.

Interview conducted by Karen Kelly, GCoE Director of Communications


Popular posts from this blog

OU Engineering Welcomes 14 New Faculty Members for 2023-24

OU Engineering 1 of 28 Teams Nationwide to Receive DEPSCoR Grant

OU Engineering Students Shine in Community Projects