Q&A: Mechanical Engineering Student Named GCOE Outstanding Senior

Christian Newkirk with Dean John Klier
Christian Newkirk, a mechanical engineering major and undergraduate certificate holder in engineering leadership, has been named the Gallogly College of Engineering Outstanding Senior at the University of Oklahoma.

Newkirk, a native of Dallas, has served in leadership roles in the OU Class Council, Tau Beta Pi, The Big Event, President’s Leadership Class, Engineers’ Club and the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers. 

As SHPE president, Newkirk creates effective relationships with campus and regional leaders while promoting community engagement with over 400 students in the Hispanic engineering community at OU. 

Newkirk has interned at Spirit AeroSystems as a design engineering intern and diversity, equity, and inclusion intern. In the role, he supported employee business resource groups on talent acquisition, webpage updates, and community initiatives. 

His passions include representing the LGBTQ+ community in diversity and inclusion efforts and being a mentor to first-generation and underrepresented college students.

How did you end up coming to OU?
When looking into colleges, OU offered the best academic and financial support for students. I was able to see myself at this institution because of the resources offered through the Diversity and Inclusion office and Student Life.

When did you discover your passion for mechanical engineering?
I have loved solving complex problems ever since I was little. I knew I wanted to go into a career path where I could contribute to the social development sector by putting people first in the design process. Mechanical engineering was one way to do that.

Can you describe your first semester here at OU?
At OU I got involved in many student organizations, including The Big Event, Union Programming Board, and the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers. This gave me many ways to make friends and pursue new opportunities in college.

Were you this involved in high school?
I was very involved in high school as well. This made it easier for me to find involvement opportunities in college because I could leverage my previous leadership and volunteerism experiences.

What do you hope to do with your engineering degree?
I want to change the world. There is a global demand for diverse professionals in STEM that can implement innovative technologies to benefit low-resource communities. As an engineer, I am going to leverage my abilities to support social development sectors.

Popular posts from this blog

OU Engineering Welcomes 14 New Faculty Members for 2023-24

OU Engineering 1 of 28 Teams Nationwide to Receive DEPSCoR Grant

OU Engineering Students Shine in Community Projects