Q&A with Sarah Hobson, GCoE's 2020/21 Outstanding Senior

Sarah Hobson is a senior, double majoring in environmental engineering and global resources energy and minoring in German. She has completed multiple internships at the Eisenmann Corporation, National Science Foundation, the Wild Care Foundation and Oklahoma Water Survey, and is co-founder of Menstrual Mates, LLC. She is currently a peer learning assistant, a nationally certified tutor and peer learning mentor in Chemistry and German as well as an undergraduate researcher, while also volunteering at Wild Care and Gardens for Good.

Gardens for Good is a project began by Sarah in March of 2020 after being sent back from Puebla, Mexico due to the pandemic. She builds gardens for individuals and families in the Norman and OKC communities, for free, to fight food insecurity and to empower individuals to grow their own food. During her senior year, Sarah has participated in both the Environmental Science Students Association and Sooner Engineers Without Borders as service chair. She is also a member of the Environmental Advisory Committee, Geography and Environmental Sustainability Club, Society of Women Engineers, Honors Student Association, Honors Reading Group, Informed Citizens Discussion Group, German Club, and Alliance of SE Asian Nations Student Association. 

Q&A with the GCoE 2020/'21 Outstanding Senior, Sarah Hobson:

Why did you choose to study at OU?

I chose to study at OU for two major reasons: opportunities and accessibility. I grew up in Norman, so actually attended GLAMS (Girls Learning and Applying Math and Science) myself and knew I was interested in engineering. When I saw that OU had an environmental engineering program, I thought studying here would be a great opportunity. OU also has many opportunities from study abroad, options to double major and take classes outside of your major, a Peace Corps Prep Program, and many great student life, volunteering, and discipline-related associations that I wanted to join.

You are a double major with a German minor. How did you determine to take this path and to pursue these disciplines?

I chose to double major in engineering to make sure my education was more well-rounded. Humanities are incredibly important but are often undervalued. I am very privileged to have been able to double major in international environmental studies (global resources energy and environmental studies) and minor in German. For me, choosing a major was a question of what not to study more than of what to study. I remember sitting down several times freshman and sophomore year to scroll through the list of over 150 majors that OU offers and finding more than 100 that I wanted to major in. However, I am especially interested in environmental justice, and an environmentally focused international studies major allowed me to pursue this. I chose to study German because I really enjoy that department's faculty and pedagogy. I wish there was time to study all of the languages that OU offers, but I have to graduate eventually.

How do you hope to use your education post-graduation?

I hope to continue to graduate school to apply agroecology and ecological engineering to sustainable food systems and community climate resilience. I also plan to earn a permaculture design certification and work with an NGO similar to Cleveland City Farms.

Is there anything else you would like to share?

Food justice! ... and I'd like to thank all my peers, faculty, and the greater OU community for supporting me.


Popular posts from this blog

OU Engineering Welcomes 14 New Faculty Members for 2023-24

OU Engineering 1 of 28 Teams Nationwide to Receive DEPSCoR Grant

OU Engineering Students Shine in Community Projects