OU-Tulsa Telecommunications Professor Receives High Award from Indian Government













Tulsa, Okla. – Pramode Verma, Ph.D., Director of the Telecommunications Engineering Program at the University of Oklahoma – Tulsa School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, recently returned from New Delhi, where he received one of the highest awards bestowed upon non-resident Indians by the Government of India. Dr. Verma was honored with the Hind Rattan award, (translated to English as “jewel of India”), given annually by the NRI (non-resident Indians) Welfare Society, under the umbrella of the Government of India. The award is given to people of Indian origin in recognition of their research, professional accomplishments and positive contributions to the scientific community and a growing world economy.

James Sluss, Jr., Ph.D., Director and Morris R. Pitman Professor, University of Oklahoma School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, said, “The fact that Dr. Verma has been presented with this prestigious award is a clear indication of the high regard in which he is held by the engineering profession and the notable contributions he has made over his exemplary career.”

Dr. Verma also holds the Williams Chair in Telecommunications Networking. Prior to joining the University of Oklahoma in 1999, he held a variety of professional and leadership positions in the telecommunications industry at AT&T Bell Laboratories and Lucent Technologies. He is the author/co-author of more than 100 journal articles and conference papers, and several books in telecommunications engineering. He is also the co-inventor of seven patents. He has been a keynote speaker at several international conferences and has lectured in several countries.

In his acceptance speech, Dr. Verma called the evening “an exciting moment,” and said he was thrilled to be in the company of other honorees.

“As I reflected on this award, I thought of a quote from Gandhi that has resonated with me: ‘Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.’  When I look back at my own accomplishments – it is this tenet of learning, lifelong learning that has been the key to my success. Even today, after being in a diverse and rewarding career that has spanned over 40 years, I continue to learn and apply new ideas to what I do every single day.  I credit this desire for lifelong learning to my upbringing in India.  From my family who supported my education to my grade school teachers who kept me interested and to the brilliant educators at the Indian Institute of Science that I had the fortune of learning from and who inspired and stretched me to be my best.  Suffice it to say, it is this India, this culture and the vibrancy and talent of this nation that helped me get my start and gave me the tools I needed to be successful.

Finally, I would be remiss if I did not recognize my wife, Gita, who has been alongside me in this career journey, who has unconditionally supported me, and is never short of great advice.  I truly would not be here without her and she is as deserving as I of this recognition.  Gita, I share this award and recognition with you.”

Popular posts from this blog

OU Engineering Welcomes 14 New Faculty Members for 2023-24

OU Engineering 1 of 28 Teams Nationwide to Receive DEPSCoR Grant

OU Engineering Students Shine in Community Projects