Reflections on the Life and Influence of Dr. John Campbell

Bruce Stover, Petroleum Engineering ‘71: Reflections on the Life and Influence of “Dr. John”

I never had the privilege of being a student of John Campbell … or Dr. John as we all endearingly called him.  I was a student at OU from 1967-71, a period of great unrest and agitation sparked by the ongoing war in Viet Nam and it’s spillover to college campuses all across the country.  Being an engineer in those times was not a popular field of study for much of the campus population in those days.  In fact, I had started college with a declared intent to major in architecture.  I grew up around the oil and gas business.  My dad was a petroleum engineer from OU, but he didn’t encourage me to follow in his footsteps.  In fact, he told me in the summer of 1967 that he thought there was no future in the profession, so I abandoned the thought of being a PE and followed another interest in architecture.

I first met Dr. John through my fraternity, where he was then serving as faculty advisor.  He had retired as a full time educator at OU in order to pursue building his own consultancy and to write books and teach courses for the broader oil and gas sector.   One night after dinner at the fraternity house in early 1968, he asked me about my grades and may satisfaction with my early education in architecture.  My grades were very good, but I felt a lack of creativity necessary to be a great architect.  He said to me “Son….you should be an engineer.  In fact, you should think about petroleum engineering given your roots”.  When I told him of my dad’s lack of confidence in the future of the business and the uncertain need for PEs, in the future he told me “With all due respect to your dad, I believe we will soon be looking at a revival in the business and there are too few PE graduates in the pipeline to meet the future needs of the industry.  With your grades, I’m pretty sure we can get you a scholarship and summer job with a major oil company too.  By the time you graduate, things will be different.”  That encouragement and a subsequent interview with PE Department Chairman, Don Menzie, led to a change in major, a scholarship and a long and fulfilling career in the energy business over the last 40 years.  My dad was happy about my scholarship and years latter told me “Dr. John was right … it’s good that he was there to give you advice and encouragement”.  In a great sense, I feel I owe Dr. John full credit for getting me started on the path that has led me to so many rich experiences in my professional career.
Through my work on the advisory boards for petroleum engineering and later, the College of Engineering, I was able to keep up a long relationship with Dr. John as a fellow advisor and friend.  He loved hearing stories about my professional experiences, as he did with all his former students.  His love for the business, its ongoing vitality and durability through many downturns was always evident.  He always believed that new technologies and bright new minds would keep our industry strong and resilient.  It was clear to me that he loved teaching and had the privilege of following with great interest, the careers of many of his former students.  What a joy that was for him.  What a legacy he has left!   All of us whose lives he touched and influenced will miss him and remember him with great appreciation and affection.

Remembrance from Lance Lobban, Director of the School of Chemical and Biological Engineering at OU

John was a great supporter of the College of Engineering as well as of CBME. While serving on the advisory board of the Laurance Reid Gas Conditioning Conference, I learned first-hand from the leaders in that industry of John’s many contributions to the field and to the conference itself.  On more than one occasion, I had conversations with John about the early conferences; he was a great source of information and a wonderful storyteller. It is remarkable that he was able to make significant contributions in so many different areas of life – education at OU, continuing and industrial education through his company, technical advances in the industry – his leadership and fellowship will be missed.

Popular posts from this blog

OU Engineering Welcomes 14 New Faculty Members for 2023-24

OU Engineering 1 of 28 Teams Nationwide to Receive DEPSCoR Grant

OU Engineering Students Shine in Community Projects